Serves 6 (about 1 cup each).
All you need:
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries (see Tip)
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives or kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
All you do:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place farro (or wheat berries) in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro, about 1 hour for wheat berries.
Meanwhile, toss fennel and bell peppers with oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
Drain the farro (or wheat berries); transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, olives, vinegar and thyme; stir to combine. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 213 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 3g sugar, 5g protein.
Source: adapted from Eating Well, Inc.