- 4 medium-size sweet bell peppers (any color)
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounce) diced and undrained tomatoes with chiles
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounce) drained whole kernel corn
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup lowfat cheddar cheese, shredded
Wash bell peppers. Cut in half and remove seeds. Cook onion and garlic in oil in medium skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes. Combine rice, tomatoes, corn and onion mixture. Mix well. Spoon into pepper halves, place on baking sheet coated with vegetable spray. Bake at 350º for 10 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake again at 350º for 5 to 10 minutes or until hot and cheese melts.
Per serving: 260 calories; 2 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 530 mg sodium; 52 g total carbohydrate; 8 g fiber; 8 g protein.
Source: University of Missouri, Family Nutrition Education Program