This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Cuban Black Beans And Rice
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 1/2 cup(s) water,
- divided 1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long grain-variety
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup(s) (sliced) uncooked red onion(s), chopped, divided
- 1 medium banana pepper(s), cubanelle or other sweet pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano 31 oz canned black beans, two 15.5 oz cans (undrained)
- 1 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped, divided 1 medium fresh lime(s), cut into 6 wedges p of rice per serving.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil; add rice and cook as package directs
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
- Add 1 1/2 cups of onion and all of the pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes
- Add garlic, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds
- Stir in beans and their liquid, remaining 1/2 cup of water and salt; bring to a simmer
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for flavors to blend, about 5 minutes
- Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and 1/3 cup of cilantro.
- To serve, spoon beans over rice; sprinkle with 1/4 cup of remaining onion and 1/3 cup of remaining cilantro; squeeze fresh lime juice over top
Suggest a Correction