Recipe Renovation: Macaroni and Cheese
- Course: main mealsPointsPlus® Value: 6 Servings: 8 Preparation Time: 18 min Cooking Time: 40 min Level of Difficulty: EasyThis rich, creamy mac and cheese was a shoo-in for this week’s “Family-Friendly” recipe series.Ingredients
- 12 oz. whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
- 12 oz. fat-free evaporated milk
- 8 oz. low-fat cheddar or colby cheese
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutment
- 2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding).
- Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 4-quart casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.